Sunday, September 14, 2008

Happy Mid-Autumns!

So, tomorrow the classes will start... which is very weird, because I think most of the other people have Monday as a holiday (prolonged weekend because of the festivals).

Mid-Autumn festival (or the Moon festival) is the second biggest holiday in China, right after the Chinese New Year. According to Wikipedia, the farmers celebrate the end of the harvesting season. It is nowadays celebrated by eating mooncakes, a kind of small sweet cake, which taste quite good. Also on the Mid-Autumn festival, the moon is at its brightest, although today was a poor day to witness it because there was a thunderstorm over Beijing.

I've now been over a week here, and it's looking really good. I think I can survive here, even though the language barrier (which in my case means difficulties to express myself in Mandarin even though I can speak a bit) often makes me feel quite stupid, like an illiterate moron around some other people.

I hope everything is well wherever you're reading this. Enjoy the festivities and have a bite at the imaginary moon cake!

No comments: