Friday, September 5, 2008

First impressions

Hot! Gusts of warmth began immediately after stepping out the plane. In the afternoon heat, mercury rose up to 35 degrees celcius. Dang!

The first day is nover now and I've already spent over 1200 euros for administrative and registeration costs, paying for the room for 5 or 6 months in advance, for example, although they'll return the money for unused days when I check out at the end of my studies.

Lucky for me, I can speak a little Mandarin and understand most of what people say. I can imagine how it feels not being able to understand a thing. Saw a raggae-funk-soul-brotha from Namibia or somewhere looking pretty lost even with his local Chinese buddy / interpreter.

But hey, at least now I've got an apartment (roughly the same size and price than mine in Finland), Internet connection (not tested yet, might be slow, I'm at my cousin's place 512k broadband yay!), a campus dining card, and a Chinese prepaid mobile phone number. Ican still receive sms or calls for that matter on my Finnish number, but I still won't pick them up.

The first day also involved lots of "running around" in Tsinghua campus to get this and that. Good that my cousin who picked me from airport has a car and we were able to drive around campus area, though it's discouraged as most of the roads are blocked and only open to bikes. Speaking of them, I still have to get my hands on one of those...

Beijing is HUGE. But that wasn't a surprise :) Lots of driving to do, lots of places to go... My cousin's car licence plate ends with an odd number, which means that until September 20th or something she's not able to drive on even days (in relation with Olympic and Paralympic games). Despite that fact, the traffic during peak hours is still stiffy, and I can't imagine the situation when every car is allowed onto streets again. However, they now have these special olympic lanes reserved for olympic traffic, which will be freed when the car ban is lifted, that'll help the situation a bit. The other "relief" is that people use a lot of liberty in interpreting rules and thus traffic is more "elastic" if you may.

I'm dead tired now for all the running and stuff, need a good night's sleep!

2 comments:

Aleksi Suave said...

Ohaioo!

Kuvia kehiin, vaikka geek prize onkin aika nätti.

Tsemii vaihtoon, poltetaan sulle suitsuke tj:n infoillassa!

Tianyi Pan said...

Thank you Alex, as you can see, the flickr gadget on the right side will automatically update to include my latest additions to my Chinese trip photos.